Friday, June 26, 2015

Woo! Made it to Rome! First day!

So, I'm currently in my hotel room, which is at the convent, Santa Lucia Filippini. I was originally planning to take the train to Rome from the airport, but after giving it some thought, I figured since I don't know the city too well, suffer from jet lag, and found it would be a thirty minute walk from the termini, I decided to splurge on transportation and take an official Rome taxi.

I'm glad I did. The taxi driver was super nice and on the way to my destination she played tour guide and told me about the different places to see on the way. Even better, when we found my place (she didn't know where the convent was until we got there, finding it based on the landmarks I knew from Google maps. XD) we were on the opposite side of the road, which she insisted she would not let me off there because traffic was bad, and pedestrians I guess are viewed as expendable here. There isn't a whole lot of organization on the road like there is back in Portland. So, my taxi driver drove around until we could get to the other side of the street.

Now, if you're unfamiliar with Rome, I know what you're probably thinking, that by taking scenic routes and driving some more so I can get to my place safely, that it would bring my meter up. The official Rome taxis have a set rate of 48 euros, so she had nothing to gain by doing all that for me. ^_^

I got to the convent, and one of my paranoias was that my room wouldn't have been saved. I wasn't sure how reliable the booking site was. Turns out they had my room ready! :D I was having trouble with my outlet adapter at first, but, as it turns out, I didn't push it in all the way. This made me very relieved. My phone is charging a little slowly, but not too bad, and the wifi was also being slow, and  causing problems, but it looks like it's fine now. Wifi was also giving me problems at the airport. So I couldn't send my family a 'got here safe' message. That was very stressful for me. I typically prefer to be around my family, so being in another country far away from them with seemingly no means of communication is almost kind of traumatizing, but I just got an email back from my boyfriend, so now I feel much better and I'll get over it.

Heh. I feel dumb. Out there is an ancient city filled with wonders and beauty and here I am stressing out about technology and keeping in touch with me loved ones at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment