Wednesday, July 1, 2015

St. Pietro Tempietto e Montario

Today, we didn't do as much stuff, we were able to have the middle of the day to do exploring and stuff. I tried Italian Shaved ice for the first time today, and it was delicious. It's basically a fancy, fruity snow cone. I will say this about Italian food,  it's way healthier than in the states.

That's what I did on my time off. We started doing our presentations today. Dylan and Shirleanne went today, and I will be doing mine on the Chigi chapel on Friday.  I feel somewhat bummed because I don't think I'll have time to see it before my presentation. Dylan did her presentation on Tempietto, which is a small, very column heavy shrine that was built by Domanto Bramante in the 15th century. Apparently, it was the supposed place of St. Peter's execution before people found out it was actually the place where San Pietro now lies. It almost made me laugh a little inside when I learned Bernini made additions to the interior in the 16th century, because that was the case for the Chigi Chapel as well.

Right next to it was the San Pietro in Montario church. Shirleanne was charged with educating us on a particular radiating chamber involving a relief sculpture of St. Francis of Assissi being accepted into heaven. It was planned by Bernini, but there's no evidence that his hand was involved inthe sculptures, but his assistants from his workshop. It was interesting learning that artists from that time period, very much like fasion designers of our time,  put their name to art, and the name alone guarantees that quality.

I'm super excited about tomorrow.  We're going to be visiting the Catecombs. Eeeee! I was required to read about it, and from what I understand trying the read this document in my exhausted state of mind, were originally dug by the Jewish people of ancient Rome then later used by Christians to escape the iron fists of the Roman emporers, who inadvertently contributed to the spread of Christianity by stirring up sympathy for the opressed Christian people, and drove them to this sanctuary underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment