Friday, July 3, 2015

Catecombs, Chigi Chapel, and Borghese Museum

Hey, everybody. So yesterday, I went to the catacombs, and was not allowed to take pictures. It kind of sucks, but at the same time, I feel like there want a very strong feel to the catacombs either. Apparently, fifteen years ago, the Italian government got tired of jerky tourists taking little bones from the dead bodies, so the bodies all got moved from the second level of the catacombs to the lower third level, which is not open to the public. This was a little disappointing. A student who went on the trip before me told me there said there wouldn't be any bodies, but I don't know, I guess I didn't want to believe it. Now this isn't a bit if advice saying it's not worth checking out, it really is. The beginnings of Christianity as a more organized religion and learning about that was very fascinating, especially since the countryside it's just breathtaking.

Today, I gave my presentation on the Chigi Chapter, which is Agostino Chigi's mortuary chapel that involved numerous artists such as Raphael, Lorenzetto, Bernini, and other artists from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. Apparently, I impressed my classmates with my presentation. Yay! It really was a crazy experience researching this chapel, then giving my presentation right on front if it.

I am super grumpy because I was two minutes late for our Borghese Museum exhibit, and I accidentally left my phone on my purse when I checked in my bag, so I didn't take pictures, nor did I have my pencil so I couldn't make sketches. The art inside was so beautiful. We learned more about Bernini and how his career I theater really reflected in his sculptures. We learned about what techniques Bernini used to make the stone look like flesh versus his bark, leaves, and stone in Apolo and Daphne.

No comments:

Post a Comment